Not so long ago I was having a nice lunch in our local diner. This nice lunch ended with an unexpected dessert that I ordered without enthusiasm, because what special can be about chocolate Guinness cake? Not much I thought. It is just chocolate cake, right? So there it was, sitting on a plate in front of me. Still not impressed I dug my fork into it and took my first bite. This is where my indifference ended, and ended abruptly. The cake was so dense, full of chocolate flavor and of something I really couldn’t put my finger on, that it was just taste buds blowing!
That day I decided to try to make it at home, and to keep trying until I’ll get somewhat similar result. Maybe even one day I’ll gather enough courage to ask at the mentioned diner if they would share a recipe with me… What possibly could happen? If they say no, that’s ok. But what if they say yes? Can you imagine being able to prepare such a marvelous dessert in matters of few hours? Whenever I want! Oh.. would be so wonderful.
In the meantime I am searching through websites and blogs for a chocolate stout cakes recipes and then trying to work with them at home. The one I am sharing with you today is not as marvelous as the one I ate at the diner, but it is pretty good! Enough that I decided it is worth its own post. The recipe was adapted from Epicurious, quantities were halved, and I used cream cheese frosting instead of chocolate one.
Hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did. And if you know about any great chocolate stout cakes recipes that I could try, please let me know!
- 1 cup Guinness (stout beer)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a springform pan – butter it and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a small pot – bring butter and stout to simmer, wait until butter melts completely.
- Add cocoa powder and mix well, until its smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small/medium bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, beat eggs with sour cream until blended.
- Add cooled stout/butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix very briefly on slow until just combined.
- Using wooden spoon OR spatula fold batter until no flour pockets remain.
- Pour the batter to prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean , ~1 hr.
- Wait until cake cools down completely.
- In the meantime prepare frosting: In a mixer bowl mix the cream cheese with vanilla until combined. With mixer running, add gradually powdered sugar and mix until combined. Do not over beat.
- Once the cake is cooled down, spread frosting on top of it. Decorate if you wish, serve and enjoy!
Yield: 10-12 slices
Nutritional Info (per slice, when divided in 12, with frosting): Cal 568, Prot 6g, Carb 79g, Fat 26g, Fiber 2.4g