I have never thought that writing about food is so difficult. But it is! After that few weeks of blogging I am out of vocabulary (nothing to be proud of) and my post are not long at all. I really hope that with time I’ll get better so please hang in there! I just bought new vocabulary book 😉
This cake for some reason is called Sunday Coffee Cake. I don’t know why, but definitely it is good on any other day of the week. Also it will get extra delicious when eaten with tea or coffee. Its crumbly texture just falls apart in the mouth and almonds add nice crunch to it. Try it!
This recipe was adapted from the Joy of Cooking.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 10tbs butter (1 1/4stick)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 3/4cup buttermilk OR plain yogurt
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; prepare a 10-inch springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl mix well: flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter cut into pieces and mixt with your hands or mixer at a low speed until crumbs are formed.
- Remove 1 cup of the crumbs and set aside.
- To the mixing bowl add baking soda and mix well.
- Add vanilla, egg and yogurt and mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepard form.
- Take the 1 cup of removed crumbs and add to it brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon. Mix.
- Top the batter in the form with this cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes OR until toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 16 slices
Nutritional Info: Cal 217, Prot 3g, Carb 32g, Fat 9g, Fiber 1g