I don’t need much of encouragement to bake, but quickly approaching Holiday Season is a good excuse, don’t you think?
I think about baking for friends as a great way to express how much I care about them. And cookies are especially easy to give. I love to bake them, pack in little boxes or jars, attach a note and just surprise someone with a sweet treat. Just to let them know that I am thinking about them and that I am grateful that I have them in my life.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- I a bowl mix flour and spices, set aside.
- Using electric mixer cream butter with sugar and salt, until light and fluffy (~3min.)
- Add yolk, mix well until incorporated, and then add the whole egg. Mix again.
- Add flour mixture and keep mixing until it is just incorporated.
- Divide the dough into four portions and refrigerate at least for one hour.
- Take one portion from the refrigerator and roll between two sheets of parchment paper until it is 1/8-inch thick.
- Start cutting the cookies, if the dough becomes too soft return it to refrigerator OR freezer for ~5minutes and continue cutting after it hardens again.
- IF you prefer you may just form dough into desired shapes by hand, for example by shaping small balls and flattening them with you hand or bottom of a glass.
- Place the shapes on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes OR until golden brown.
Yield: ~49 cookies
Nutritional Info (3 cookies):
Cal 227, Prot 3g, Carb 28g, Fat 12g, Fiber og