In Poland Russian Salad, which is known there as vegetable salad or just salad, is served during all mayor holidays and family gatherings. So recipe for two just doesn’t exist. Also each family prepares it differently and there is no bad way to do it, therefore if you wish to adjust the recipe to your taste go ahead! The one I am sharing with you today combines a lot of different flavors: sweetness, and tartness, velvety texture of mayonnaise. I encourage you to try the recipe for the first time as it is, do not be afraid of mixing pickles and apples together. It will pay off well. For those of you who are interested in the history of Russian salad I recommend Wikipedia article, which is pretty interesting.
- 6 carrots
- 6 tart apples
- 6 eggs
- 6 sour kosher dills
- 1 leek (only white and light green part)
- 1 can corn
- 2 cans peas
- 1 root parsley
- 1/2 celeriac (celery root)
- 8oz. mayonnaise
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook in a small amount of water: carrots, root parsley and celeriac, until very tender.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs: put all eggs in a pan, in one layer, cover with water and bring to boil; reduce the heat and let them simmer for 1 minute, then remove pan from heat and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- While vegetables and eggs are cooking and cooling down prepare big bowl, chop leek, kosher dills, peel and chop apples – all into small cubes. You can also process them in food processor, just be careful not to overdo it. Transfer leek and apples to the bowl.
- Drain corn and peas; add to the bowl.
- Chop cooked vegetables, peel and chop eggs; add to the bowl. Again, you can process them in food processor to make it quicker.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Note: All vegetables need to be well drained before being processed or added to the bowl because the liquid will gather in the salad. If this happen just give the salad a stir.
Yield: ~6.8lb of salad
Nutritional Info (~7oz. of salad): Cal 219, Prot 6g, Carb 22g, Fat 12g, Fiber 4.4g