By now you probably can tell that I have kind of.. sort of.. a sweet tooth. If this is news to you just check out previous posts :).
I don’t like nuts in the cakes, but I decided to try this Pecan Coffee Cake just because the picture in the magazine was very appetizing. So I followed the recipe to the letter and put pecans in the cake, not really sure about the result. Fortunately it was a good move! Nutty flavor adds an interesting note to the flavor and makes this cake different than others and definitely worth trying.
For the streusel topping and center
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar (granulated, white)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- Prepare the streusel: mix flour, 3/4cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Add butter cut into small pieces.
- Place the ingredients in a food procesor and pulse couple of times OR rub with your fingers until small clumps form.
- Mix in 1/2 cups pecans and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the center: mix remaining brown sugar (1/4 cup) with 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 cup of pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a cake pan.
- In a medium bowl: sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- In a mixer bowl: beat butter with sugar until pale and fluffy (~3 minutes).
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until incorporated.
- Add vaanilla.
- With mixer runnig on low-medium speed start adding flour mixture, alternating with sour cream.
- Beat until well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle prepared streusel center.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Top with prepared streusel.
- Bake ~55minutes, until cake is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare the glaze: mix confectioners’ sugar with milk. Brush the glaze over the cake.
Yield: 12 slices
Nutritional Info: Cal 576, Prot 6g, Carb 67g, Fat 33g, Fiber 2g