I forgot to buy bread today and there is not enough time to bake one, as I need something to eat for breakfast. So what do I do? Muffins, aka oatmeal in a muffin form. This recipe I found at and adapted from Simply Recipes and it is perfect for last minute baking. It doesn’t require a mixer, it uses ingredients that are usually in our pantry and allows some flexibility (more raisins anyone?). All baking can be done in 30 minutes, provided I am not multitasking, or switching between tasks really. Oh, the most important part – these muffins taste really good!
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk OR 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice (mix and wait 5 minutes)
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare muffin pan.
- In big bowl mix together: flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, dates, raisins and apple, set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together: buttermilk, vanilla, egg and butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with couple strokes. Do not overmix as this will produce tougher crumb.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 12 muffins
Nutritional Info: Cal 219, Prot 4g, Carb 33g, Fat 9g, Fiber 1.7g