This recipe was adapted from Cooks Illustrated. I must say I’ve been using their website, magazines and books for a while now and every recipe was always a success. For someone who is still learning (read: me) trusting a recipe is very important. I just hope that one day I will be able to come up with baking recipes completely on my own. How fun would that be! For now I am practicing that without any witnesses 😉
The Crumb Cake I am presenting today 🙂 is very delicate and moist, and cake flour is a must in this case. If you substitute for all-purpose the cake still will be edible, that’s for sure, but it will lose its fluffiness and delicacy.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted and still warm
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick) cut into 6 pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix all ingredients, except flour, in a bowl until well combined.
- Add flour and keep mixing with spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and resembles cohesive dough.
- Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes until it reaches room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Prepare 8-inch square baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- Place flour, sugar, baking soda and four in a mixing bowl and mix on a low speed until combined.
- Add butter and continue mixing until the mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Add wet ingredients: buttermilk, yolk and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Crumb topping: with your hands break apart crumb topping into pea sized pieces. Spread them evenly over the batter.
- Bake until crumbs are golden brown, and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. About ~40 minutes.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Yield: 12 portions
Nutritional info: Cal 303, Prot 4g, Carb 40g, Fat 14g, Fiber 1g