After all preparation, cooking, frantic shopping, etc. holidays are over. Now it is time to relax and have some leftovers for dinner. For me it will be mushroom soup and pierogi. And for dessert a piece of plesniak cake. After I finish it all, I will stretch out on the sofa and then I will seriously consider a visit in a gym.
- 16oz white mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 leek (optional)
- 1 big carrot
- 4-6 cups of water OR vegetable OR chicken broth (depends how much of flavor you want)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (can be substituted by half&half or milk)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- pasta of your choice (1 oz. dry pasta per person)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Chop the onion.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- In a medium heavy bottom pot melt the butter.
- Add chopped onion and cook on low for ~10 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms, stir well and cook for additional 5 to 10 minutes. Keep stiring from time to time.
- In the meantime clean carrots and leek (if using). Cut of the root and green part from leek.
- Add water OR broth, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Bring it to boil and lower the heat to medium. Cook for ~15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the flour with cold water, make sure no flour pockets remain.
- Pour slowly flour mixture into the soup while stirring.
- Decrese heat to low.
- In another bowl mix well heavy cream with 1/2 cup of the soup from the pot. When adding soup to the cream, do it gradually to prevent cream coagulation.
- Slowly pour the soup/cream mixture into the pot.
- Mix well and remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta following directions on the box.
- To serve put pasta on the plate and pour soup over it. Enjoy!
Yield: ~6 cups
Nutritional Info (without pasta): Cal 176, Prot 3g, Carb 12g, Fat 13g, Fiber 2g