Each day it is warmer outside and soon summer clothes will be a must. With this in mind I checked out my closet yesterday for my favorite last summer pieces and discovered that not all of them fit exactly as they should! Bummer. This requires some action, running action most likely… When preparing mentally 🙂 to take this step I prepared meringue nests filled with fruit. It is good and would be even better if I had made mini nests, just for one strawberry. Too bad I thought about it once my meringues were in the oven.
- 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons + 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (hulled)
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Sift powdered sugar and 2 tablespoon of granulated sugar, set aside.
- In a mixer bowl: place egg whites and start whipping on a low speed until they become frothy, then increase speed to medium high, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and continue whipping until soft peaks are obtained.
- Once you have soft peaks, continue whipping and gradually add 1/3 cup of granulated sugar. Keep mixing until stiff and gloss peaks form.
- Sprinkle over beaten whites powdered sugar mixture and spices. Fold in with rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Using tablespoon place dollops of meringue on baking paper, dividing into 8 equal portions.*
- Shape, still using a tablespoon, into rough circles and then make indentation in the center, with the back of the spoon. Take care to keep it ~1/4inch thick in the center.
- Place prepared discs in the oven and bake for ~80 minutes, rotate the baking sheet after 30 minutes.
- Let them cool off for ~30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare strawberries: you can either slice them lengthwise or leave whole, depending on their size, size of the meringue nests and desired effect. Toss them with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and set aside. Some light syrup will form.
- Once meringue nests are at room temperature, removed them carefully from the baking sheet and place strawberries in the nests. Cover with some syrup.
*You may wish to make 9 circles and use the 9th one as a test nest.
Yield: 8 circles
Nutritional Info (1 nest with fruit): Cal 132, Prot 2g, Carb 32g, Fat 0g, Fiber 1.1g