Close your eyes (or not if you want to know what’s next). It is a late afternoon/early evening and you are tired after a full day of work/hiking/or maybe skiing. It is cold outside but you are sitting in your favorite chair, perhaps by a fireplace (warm blanket works too!). You are having in your hand a warm cup with something that smells so relaxing and tastes sweet that with each sip you are feeling better as the sugar and energy are rushing through your body and spices are awakening your senses. This is Masala Chai.
Masala Chai is a sweet Indian tea prepared with milk and spices. Some people use cream instead of milk to add more body to the tea.
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of milk
- sugar – I used 1 tbsp but it can be even 3/4 cup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4tsp ground cardamom OR ~15 cardamom pods
- 5-8 whole cloves
- 1/4tsp ground ginger OR 1/2-inch fresh, sliced
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1-2tbsp black tea leaves
- Pour water and milk into a saucepan.
- Add sugar and spices and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about 20 minutes.
- Bring to a boil again, remove from heat.
- Stir in black tea and wait 2 minutes.
- Strain and serve.