This dish makes great “make ahead” dinner. It may be prepared few days in advance and stored in a fridge until you’re ready for it. It is filling and provides you with some fiber, with an average portion of 3 crêpes. I like to refry them and then enjoy crispy part of the crêpe before I get to the mushroom and sauerkraut flavor. I hope you will like them as much as I do. And don’t get fooled by the lengthy preparation – it is no as bad as it seems 🙂
- doubled recipe for crêpes
- 28.5 oz. jar of sauerkraut
- ~2 oz. dried mushrooms (can be porcini, woods blend) OR ~16 0z. white mushrooms (however some flavor will be lost)*
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 2 tablespoons for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ~32 oz. water
- Chop onion.
- Heat a deep skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and onion.
- Cook on medium low heat for ~10 minutes.
- In the meantime transfer sauerkraut to a colander and rinse it with cold water. This will remove some of juices and will make it less sour.
- Add the sauerkraut to the skillet.
- Pour 2/3 cup of water, mix well and cook on medium low**.
- Transfer dried mushrooms to a container big enough to hold ~24 oz. of water + mushrooms.
- Add boiling water to the container, as much as it can hold. Cover and set it aside for 1/2 hour.
- Add the water in which mushrooms soaked to the sauerkraut and process the mushrooms in the food processor OR chop them into small pieces.
- Add the mushrooms to the sauerkraut. Add salt and pepper. Mix well and continue cooking on medium low for additional 2hrs.
- In the meantime prepare crêpes and set aside.
- Once sauerkraut is cooked and tender and cold enough to handle start filling the crêpes as shown at the picture below.
- To reheat them heat up skillet and two tablespoons olive oil and add filled crêpes. Fry on each side, on medium, for ~3 minutes.
*If substituting, chop the white mushrooms and cook them with onion, and then add sauerkraut; Keep adding water while cooking.
**Keep checking if there is enough liquid, so it won’t burn; If you notice it is getting dry add more water.
Yield: ~24 filled crêpes
Nutritional Info (1 filled crêpe): Cal 136, Prot 5g, Carb 13g, Fat 8g, Fiber 1.5g