This recipe reminds me of my childhood and soups grandma used to make. She served it with slices of sourdough bread and it was the tastiest soup in the world.
- 1/2lb white beans
- 6 cups of water OR chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 big onion
- 8oz bacon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- Soak beans overnight in 6 cups of water OR bring water and beans to boil, leave boiling for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
- Bring soaking water and beans to boil again and reduce heat to medium. If using a chicken broth, drain the beans, add the broth, bring to boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Chop carrots and potatoes. Add to the beans.
- Slice bacon and start cooking in skillet on medium heat.
- Chop onion and add to bacon. Cook both for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add cooked bacon with onion to the beans, stir well.
- Add salt, pepper and marjoran, stir again.
- Let simmer for ~30 minutes. Check the beans if they’re tender. Continue cooking if necessary.
Yield: 4 portions as pictured
Nutritional Info: Cal 260, Prot 12g, Carb 36g, Fat 8g, Fiber 6g