May is a happy month, don’t you think? The weather is nice, spring in its full bloom, plenty of fresh produce around and live just seems easier. I love this time of year, although I think I am a bit lazier then – trying to enjoy every minute of sun and warmth, preferably on the blanket in a park. Blanket on a grass in back yard will do too… or at least an open window in my office so I can feel light breeze and listen to birdsongs. Yesterday I saw two rabbits running around a tree in front of the house!
These muffins would be perfect blanket companions. I like fruits in the muffins because of their freshness and not so sweet taste, and berries are fit this perfectly. Also they pair well with cup of morning coffee, something to think about with Mother’s day coming soon 🙂
This recipe was adapted from CooksIllustrated.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons + 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Melt 4 tablespoon of butter, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare muffin tin: line up with paper cups OR butter it.
- In a medium bowl: mix dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In mixer bowl* whisk egg, until light-colored and well combined, add sugar (1 cup) and keep whisking.
- Gradually add melted butter, making sure it combines well.
- Add sour cream. You can do it in few additions, whisking just to combine.
- Gently mix blueberries with flour mixture.
- Add sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients, mix with wooden spoon OR rubber spatula until just combined. When mixing try to distribute blueberries evenly. Take care to not overmix.
- Using spoon divide batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes OR until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix sugar (1/2 cup) with cinnamon and melt the butter (4 tablespoons).
- Working one at a time, dip top of muffins in melted butter and then in cinnamon sugar mix.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Mixer is not necessary. You may whisk ingredients by hand.
Servings: 12 standard muffins
Nutritional Info (1 muffin): Cal 280, Prot 4g, Carb 42g, Fat 11g, Fiber 1g