As a dietitian I like to know how many calories food has. I forget the number 15 minutes later, but still, I like to know. However sometimes I wonder what’s the point? Wouldn’t blissful ignorance be better? 🙂 Oh.. I am not making big deal out of it. It is just a number. My main problem is, I think, that I cook/bake and eat first, and THEN calculate the nutritional value. Although I can estimate it beforehand, usually my eyes are getting bigger and bigger when the numbers start to add up. Oh my… Again, not a big deal.
This super tasty blueberry buckle would be my breakfast choice each time I would have it around. Plenty of energy until lunch, super compatibility with cup of coffee and fruit is included! 😉 And forget about the numbers!
This recipe was adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 16oz. blueberries (I didn’t have this much, so I used just 11 oz.)
Streusel OR Streusel
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare springform pan – butter OR line with parchment paper
- Sift the flour (2 cups).
- Mix it with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a mixer bowl put together butter and sugar. Beat together until light and fluffy, ~3 minutes.
- Add egg, mix until well incorporated.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk. Mix until well combined.
- Toss the berries with 1 tablespoon of flour, add to batter.
- Fold in berries, taking care to distribute evenly (may be challenging a bit).
- Pour batter into springform pan, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the topping: mix all ingredients together and process shortly in food processor (few pulses) OR working with fork mix them until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Sprinkle streusel over the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour OR until tooth pick inserted into in comes out clean.
Yield: 8-10 slices
Nutritional Info (when divided into 8 slices): Cal 405, Prot 6g, Carb 69g, Fat 13g, Fiber 2,4g