Hope you’ve had a nice weekend! We’ve had a good one. Nothing special though, but being able to stay at home and have some family time is always very relaxing and welcomed. I’ve tried few new recipes, which was fun, while Pawel played with the little one. Recently he came into possession of guitar (Pawel not the little one) so I could also enjoy some repetitive guitar sounds as he practiced new tunes and tried to remember the old ones. Fun, fun, fun.
These sandwiches weren’t on the menu this time. I’ve prepared them for the first time sometime in January, I think, and we’ve enjoyed them quite a few times since then. As always “quick and easy” makes them a very tempting choice for a weekday dinner, plus they’re tasty too. If you would like to make them a bit more lighter the easiest way would be to choose part skim mozzarella cheese instead of the whole milk one, and decrease/skip the butter. Also this avocado paste would make a wonderful dip!
This recipe was adapted from Once Upon a Cutting Board.
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-2 cloves garlic*
- ~1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice**
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- ~2 cups of fresh spinach (less will also be fine, it mainly depends on how much you would like to have in your sandwich)
- ~8 oz. mozzarella cheese (again, the quantity will depend on your preferences)
- ~10 sourdough bread slices – we used about 1.5 tablespoon of avocado paste per sandwich and still had some left
- 2 tablespoons butter
*Depends how garlicky you want your paste to be. Feel free to add more!
**Taste and add more if needed.
- Prepare the avocado paste: place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until desired consistency – process less time if you would like to have some chunks of avocado left.
- Heat up non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- While skillet is heating up prepare your sandwiches:
- Prepare 2 slices of bread per sandwich.
- Spread thin layer of butter on outer side of the bread slices. It is difficult to do that once your sandwich is fully packed.
- Spread desired amount of avocado paste on one slice, cover the other one with spinach leaves.
- Add mozzarella cheese and put both slices together.
- Place the sandwich in preheated skillet and cook until golden brown, ~3 min. per side.
- Remove from the skillet and enjoy while warm!
Yield: 5 sandwiches with generous portion of avocado paste
Nutritional Info (when prepared with whole milk mozzarella): Cal 510, Prot 20g, Carb 50g, Fat 26g, Fiber 5g