I’ve just bought an old Spanish recipe book and I can’t tell you enough how excited I am about it. The moment I had the book in my hands I started searching through it, starting with desserts of course, and I found this recipe for pastas mallorquinas aka almond cookies. There are only three ingredients, no flour or any grain for that matter and result is delicious and unexpected. Cookies are crunchy, with nice texture and strong almond flavor. I have a feeling that I will be making them again and soon.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- 9oz raw almonds
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- *Process almonds in a food processor until finely grounded. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixer bowl: start beating egg whites on a slow/medium speed for ~30s.
- Increase speed to high and continue beating until egg whites are opaque and gained volume.
- While continue beating slowly add sugar to the whites.
- Reduce speed to low and add grounded almonds. Mix until well combined.
- Using spoon or cookie scoop (I used 2 teaspoon scoop) portion the dough on prepared baking sheet.
- Decorate with whole almonds (optional)
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool down on a baking sheet (~10 minutes).
*You can leave few whole almonds for decoration.
Yield: 30 cookies
Nutritional Info: Cal 75, Prot 2g, Carb 8g, Fat 4g, Fiber 1g